Your #1 Source for Motorized Bicycle Engine Kits, Parts and Service
image Follow Us:
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Different Chain Sizes and Sprockets

Different Chain Sizes and Sprockets 4 years 7 months ago #4766

I recently tried to put the engine on a full suspension bike because ive seen people doing so, but with different engines and designs on YOUTUBE. They were driving over dead logs and jumps and all, and there bikes were very sturdy.

I didnt have enouph chain from the 410 or 415 chain i got in the kit, so i decided to settle for a 41t motorcycle chain from NAPA for $18 for 10ft. I thought i was getting a good deal because i had so much extra chain i could have made another one.. But oh was i wrong.

I eventually couldnt fit the engine on the NEXT bike with the shock underneath the seat, so i tried to put it back on the first bike i had. I thought it was a schwinn occ chopper which i wrote in my first thread but its more something like a SCHWINN stingray. Ill have to check, which is from walmart. Anyway, i tried for another 3 days to get it to fit, because i knew it worked , i had gone 100+ miles in the first 3 days i ran it, with no problems. I should have just left it alone.

I really wanted to go back to using the original 410, or 415 chain i had from the kit, but i couldnt get it to fit back on. I had to use the longer 41t motorcylce chain from NAPA. I guess that you figured out already that i ate blacktop for lunch that afternoon, when i hit the road and slid for 15 feet on solid blacktop. I knew the chain had kept popping off and locking the back wheel up even before i left, but i thought that since i got the chain tensioner just right and i made it up the hill, i would go for a ride.

The chain seems to keep popping off the sprocket for no reason, although the chain is rubbing the wide tires on the way to the motor and the way back to the sprocket, but it didn't seem to be a big deal, and EVEN though i knew the tires are defective and have a wobble in them, MAYBE the wobble would account for the increase speed every few cycles of the chain, and account for the chain slipping off the sprocket.

MY 4 QUESTIONS are...

1 Do i have to match the chain size with the sprocket, because ive just read this in the "inventory update" section, that the 40t sprockets are available in
the ESHOP? I thought the different sized sprockets were just to increase and decrease speed, but it looks like you have to match the chain to each sprocket...

www.zoombicycles.com/News/Inventory-Update/40t-and-50t-sprockets-in-eshop.html

->If so please show me where to buy the sprockets on this website, hopefully there in stock, unless you think that the chain rubbing the tire is the problem?

2 Should i just buy a second 410 chain from the eshop and add the extra links of the same type chain that came with my kit? I dont know What size it is because the package had chinese symbols on it, and im guessing its the upgraded 415 chain, since i bought the kit with all the upgraded parts.

3 What does the "T" mean in the 41t chain i bought. Based on the 40t sprocket thats being sold here somewhere, im thinking that it means how many teeth are on it? This is what makes me wonder if i dont have the right sprocket for the 41t chain. I can tell they are physically different, and my father told me that it could be the amount of space between the links or the width of the links. If not its
definetly the fact that the chain is rubbing the tire, which it wasnt doing the first 2 times i installed it on the SCHWINN STINGRAY or whatever bike my mom told me to put this engine on. It has a tire width of 1.25 inches i think, widest ive seen.

4 Also, right now i am using a punch to remove the links, but it takes a long time and sore thumbs to get just one link out. At least until i found out to use the rear engine mount spacer , and by ligning the pin up with the bolt hole to punch the link out.... A lot quicker 3 minutes compared to 3 hours..

Should i buy the heavy duty chain breaker tool thats being sold here, because the chain tools i have are meant for regular bicycle chains, and wont hold the chain correctly so i can use the tool properly to twist out the pin. Will this
chain breaker tool fit the chain included in these kits which arent the same size of regular bicycle chains? Hence the name "HEAVY DUTY" chain breaker chain

MOST=-=IMPORTANT
I need to know if i can or should even try to make it work with the 41t chain, or even buy the 40t chain they are selling in town, and then buy the 40t sprocket which is being sold somewhere on this website.

any info on the differences of the regular bicycle chain from a 41t bicycle chain would help out alot.

Thank you for any and all help you have given me. Now im going to buy a zoombicycles T-Shirt because nobody can read the sticker as go by, on my chainguard that says "zoombicycles.com"

Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by trancemix09.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Different Chain Sizes and Sprockets 4 years 7 months ago #4767

• farmboy72
  • ^-_-^
First off your getting two things confused. The "t" after 40 reffering to the sprocket means that the sprocket has 40 teeth, it doesnt mean it fits 40t chain. these engines use 415 chain and if you need it longer then buy a set from the estore and connect them together. chain breakers make breaking chain ALOT easier. using a hammer and punch takes forever.

Re:Different Chain Sizes and Sprockets 4 years 7 months ago #4771

Since i already bought a 41t chain from NAPA can i buy a 40t sprocket from the eshop and buy a 40t chain from the NAPA in my town and hope they will work together?

What are the differences between a 415 chain and a 40t or 41t chain.

Or is it more likely the fact that the chain was rubbing the tire and the tire being as wobbly as it is, makes the chain fall off? It snapped the bolts right off and the ends are stuck in the thread.

Im thinking im going to have to re-tap new bolt holes for mounting the engine, but i dont know how far i can go in, without pentrating the inside...Im actually thinking of taking apart the motor anyway because i think i blew some of the head gaskets, the first day i ran it. Im just afraid i want be able to get it back together, because ill probably need special tools to put it back together. I have the clutch removal tool that came with my kit. Do you think this would be a good idea to do?

Also if you can point me in the right direction where i can find different ways to mount the motor on a bike like the one shown above?

Re:Different Chain Sizes and Sprockets 4 years 7 months ago #4772

• Desmond
  • Gold Boarder
again, you're mixing up the proper terminology. "t" after a number such as 40 or 44 means TEETH, referring to the amount of teeth a SPROCKET has. a certain type of chain can be described with a "#" sign, for example a #40 chain, #41 chain, or #415 chain (the stock motor chain size). anyways im pretty sure the difference between the #415 chain and the others is that it is thinner than the others, but with similar spacing

Re:Different Chain Sizes and Sprockets 4 years 7 months ago #4776

• WhiteTiger
What you really need to do is invest a few bucks in a caliper and measure the parts you are trying to match. There is no other single answer to what is going to work with what.

Tiger

Re:Different Chain Sizes and Sprockets 4 years 7 months ago #4781

• briansproul
  • Gold Boarder
I use the #40 chain I purchased. I got 10 feet, master link, and offset link for $20. This chain is a little bigger than the 415 but works well

Re:Different Chain Sizes and Sprockets 4 years 7 months ago #4783

• tacoma
  • Gold Boarder
Hi about chain,they make chain with oring also i saw some chain made in steenless still,those are made for hospital use.My brother work to take apart industry.You be supprise all the quality stuff got in those place. :woohoo:

Re:Different Chain Sizes and Sprockets 4 years 7 months ago #4786

• WhiteTiger
Yup, there seems to be an endless variety of specalised modifications on the roller chain. Mostly the letter designators after the size numbers refer to those special purpose variants, and it seems no two manufacturers use the same letter to mean the same thing.

That's why the only really sure way to get parts that match is to measure them for pitch, roller size and tooth width.

Tiger

Re:Different Chain Sizes and Sprockets 4 years 7 months ago #4819

I guess what i need to ask is,

Would NAPA have the right sprocket for the 41t chain they sold me, or would it only be for an actual motorcycle?

Also the chain breaker tools i have dont fit this chain, but im hoping that the one there selling does hence the name "heavy duty" chain breaker tool. It takes me 3 hours to punch out 1 pin in the chain, until recently i figure out to use the rear engine mount spacer on concrete, and use the hole for the bolt as a guide for the pin to fall through, thats works pretty damn good buy the way.

So basically i really need to get back on the road but now since the accident i havent figured out how to get the broken bolts out of the manifold so i can put in better bolts, which i am going to tap to 8mm size. I am looking into the ez-outs my uncles are saying would work, but i guess you have to drill a hole through the bolt, and i dont have a drill that will stay charged, (i have to borrows neighbors), and none of my drill bits would do the job, when i did borrow the neighbors electric drrill. Do i need special titanium drill bit, or stronger to drill out the bolt, or is it possible to just drill out another set of holes above the broken bolts and re-tap to 8mm?

Doesnt seem like it has enouph room though, and it would stick out of the side of the engine mount bracket.

Re:Different Chain Sizes and Sprockets 4 years 7 months ago #4823

• Desmond
  • Gold Boarder
For the sprocket NAPA has, you need to ask them if its for an actual motorcycle, im pretty sure they wud know.
if the manifold bolts broke flush to the rest of the engine, u can grind a line going the diameter of the bolt, use a flathead screwdriver, and twist the bolt out. if you have it broken further down, ive been able to drill a short hole about the same size as a smallish allen wrench in the bolt, stick the allen wrench into the hole (with a little force) and twist it out

Re:Different Chain Sizes and Sprockets 4 years 7 months ago #4825

• crash_fall
  • Fresh Boarder
briansproul wrote:
I use the #40 chain I purchased. I got 10 feet, master link, and offset link for $20. This chain is a little bigger than the 415 but works well

You running a #40 chain & sprockets? I'm considering that myself. Provided theres enough space - 12T front, 54T or 60T rear.

Re:Different Chain Sizes and Sprockets 4 years 7 months ago #4826

• crash_fall
  • Fresh Boarder
briansproul wrote:

You running a #40 chain & sprockets? I'm considering that myself. Provided theres enough space - 12T front, 54T or 60T rear.

Re:Different Chain Sizes and Sprockets 4 years 7 months ago #4827

• briansproul
  • Gold Boarder
briansproul wrote:

I had to use small washers behind the clutch cover and I had to grind away a few small areas. It works really nice because the chain alignment does not have to as perfect. There is more side to side play

Re:Different Chain Sizes and Sprockets 4 years 7 months ago #4829

• tacoma
  • Gold Boarder
About chain and spoket.I have done 70 hours and my chain and never never came off.I grind the tooth charp on the rear spoket.Just like real motocycle.This help to keep the chain on. B)
Moderators: PowerRyder, JNMotors
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds